Community service helps us to grow as people and to connect with not only others, but ourselves as well. We are able to learn more about ourselves by surrounding ourselves with different situations, or something out of our ordinary lives. We are able to see what different cultures are like and have a better grasp of how to communicate with others that have not had the same background as us.
The biggest learning experience that I've ever had was when I went on a mission trip to Mexico. I was able to completely dive into the culture and experience things for myself, rather than just reading about it. I learned just how many things I take for granted because its simply given to me in my daily life; things like education, family, more specifically parents, and even the simplest thing such as green grass. All these things I was able to learn about myself, but the mission trip wasn't about me at all. I learned how to communicate with people of all ages that didn't speak the same language as me. I learned more about the mexican culture and what some of their traditions were. I was able to impact the lives of children to show them that they are truly loved; I was taught just how important it was for children to know that they are cared for. Service is a huge learning opportunity for everyone because you're able to learn about yourself and those that were raised differently than you.
No comments:
Post a Comment